Tuesday, January 11, 2011

#2 Top Medical Stories 2010

Here is what I asked for, " The top 10 medical stories found on WebMD will include..”. and all year I waited for WebMD to do this story like they did last year. Finally, I searched WebMD site and found the Top Stories of the Year, only it just gave 5. Unfortunately, none of our predictions made this list, although some were kind of close. So, for scoring, if the person had something close to what was on the list, I gave them 2 points, if they had something that actually happened and made the news, I gave them 1 point. I awarded ½ a point for those predictions who made the news but in a more futuristic point of view.

  • Parker predicted a new infectious disease would start spreading causing fear and panic but will eventually turn into something that’s not a big deal. Whooping cough came back and so for this, I am awarding Parker 2 points.
  • Amanda predicted brain transplants, and better HIV/AIDS vaccines. Although this was not ground breaking news, I gave her 1 point based on the fact that partial brain transplants are possible although not common and there are now much improved HIV vaccines.
  • Jaimie predicted a cure for type-one diabetes. Although this too was not seen as important news, Islet cell transplantation is now possible so she gets 1 point.
  • Ellen predicted that the obesity epidemic would shorten expected life spans in US. In December the CDC reported that US life expectancy has dropped a 10th of a year from 2007, although they don’t say why. For this I am awarding 1 point.
  • Bret predicted the failure of the Obama healthcare plan. The Health Care plan was actually a top story, although instead of its failure, the story focused on understanding health care reform legislation. For this, I am giving Bret 1 point.
  • I (Jill) predicted a new diet drug. I just got in the wire on this. In December the FDA started the approval for Contrave, a new diet drug that works on your cravings. It is not on the market yet so I am only giving myself ½ of a point. Interestingly, no new diet drug has been approved by the FDA in the last 10 years.
  • Wendy predicted stem cell therapy for diabetes would occur. This is still not a reality although lots of research is being done on it. ½ point.
  • Tom and Beth predicted genetic therapy breakthroughs. Still a promise but not yet. ½ point.

The rest of the predictions were not even close although Bed Bugs would have seen far out back in january 2010 too. If anyone would like to challenge my rulings, have at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment